One in five people are in the wrong role, jobs they are not motivated by, engaged with or productive in, according to new research released today by Right Management, ManpowerGroup’s global career and talent development expert (NYSE: MAN). Based on interviews with more than 4,600 people across 20 countries Right Management found companies need to invest in career mobility and help employees develop their skills and gain valuable experience in ways that suit them (online, in-person and on-the job) to boost engagement and productivity. Adopting a high-tech, high-touch approach combining coaching with innovative technology will help match people to the right positions resulting in a 40% increase in engagement with a knock-on-effect on performance.
“Making sure you have the right people in the right roles is a proven way to boost engagement, productivity and the bottom line.” said Mara Swan, Executive Vice President, Global Strategy and Talent, ManpowerGroup and Global Brand Lead for Right Management. “Wrong for the role doesn’t have to mean wrong for the organization. The best companies to work for are implementing high-tech, high-touch, personalized career development strategies. Online training and assessments that come with always-on capability and real-time career-coaching is how they’re retaining and rewarding their brightest and best, and filling their talent pipelines for today and tomorrow.”
Right Management’s new RightCareer platform is designed to help companies position themselves as employers of choice, providing 24×7 online, personalized career development solutions supported by real-time coaches.
The Right Person report recommends seven practical steps for organizations to introduce an effective Career Development strategy that will attract, engage and retain the brightest and best:
- Educate: Coach leaders to provide Career Management guidance aligned to business goals.
- Attract: Use employer branding and workforce development to attract top-talent.
- Retain: Have high-touch Career Conversations and use high-tech tools to enable development, create a learning culture and encourage career mobility.
- Engage: Keep employees engaged and productive by providing ongoing career coaching and opportunities to upskill.
- Redeploy Talent: Offer easy access to open internal positions and opportunities for career mobility within your organization.
- Plan For Future Talent Needs: Plan ahead and leverage tools to stay up to date with new HR, talent and technology solutions as they emerge.
- Develop a Sustainable Leadership Program: Identify high potential talent and prepare them to take on leadership roles.