The data used analysed 144 countries and focused on the relative gaps between women and men across four key areas: health, education, economy and politics.
The top 10 countries for gender equality are:
Other Key Rankings:
- The UK barely makes it into the top 20, sitting just ahead of Mozambique which ranks in at 21.
- The US sits disappointedly low at 45, with countries like Bulgaria (41), Jamaica (42) and Trinidad and Tabgo (44) all ranking ahead of them.
- Germany ranks at 13, just beating Namibia at 14, with France coming in at 17, only slightly behind the Netherlands at 16. Spain falls well behind at 29.
- Yemen is the worst performer coming last in the list, with Pakistan close behind.
- China joins the table in 99th place.
- Malta was the worst performer within the EU ranking at 108.